IIPS, which was formerly known as Demographic Training and Research Centre, was established in Mumbai in July 1956 to serve the regional center for training and research in Population Studies for Asia and Pacific region. It was renamed as International Institute for Population Studies in April 1971 and was redesignated to its present title in March 1984 to facilitate the expansion of its academic activities. The Institute was declared a Deemed University in August 1985 under Section of the UGC Act, 1956 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, New Delhi. It is an autonomous institution working under the administrative control of the Department of Family Welfare, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India. The IIPS is the only Institute in the world completely devoted to teaching and research in the population-related areas.
The Institute is registered as an autonomous institution under the Societies Registration Act (XXI) of 1860. The following library related objectives have mentioned in the Memorandum of Association, Rules and Regulations and Bye0Laws.
As a part of the aforementioned objectives, the Institute has an independent building for the Library & ICT Unit. The library has a floor area of 1105 m2, which is divided on the first and second floors of the building. The entire area of library is air conditioned and has study rooms with an approximate seating capacity of 100. An adequate number of computers, Wi-Fi connectivity, well-qualified library staff, and availability of demographic information sources are the strength of the library.