As per the Official Language Policy of Government of India, the Official Languages Act, 1963, and the Official Languages Rules, 1976, a Hindi Cell was established in 1996 with the following objectives:
- To comply with the aforementioned rules, the Official Languages Committee in the Institute conducts quarterly meetings to discuss and decide on policy matters and to accordingly take required actions. This includes achieving targets of the Annual Program for transacting the official work of the Union in Hindi, organising Hindi Week, monitoring the internal progress of the Institute regarding Hindi usage, submitting the quarterly progress report and half yearly Hindi language and typing training report.
- To translate the annual report, annual accounts, prospectus, convocation-related work, and other circulars/orders/official correspondences in Hindi.
- To organise Hindi typing/stenography/language training/workshops for the staff to motivate them for conducting their official work in Hindi.
- To conduct various competitions during Hindi Week.
- To conduct Hindi competitions
- To conduct Rajbhasha Sammelan as per the instruction of Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
At the Institute, all stationeries, such as a letter head, file folders, registers, and forms, are prepared in a bilingual format. The Cell monitors the preparation of these stationeries in the trilingual/bilingual form. Moreover, degree certificates are issued in the bilingual format.
Since 1996, the Cell is conducting Hindi Workshops for staff/officers of the Institute. Various Hindi competitions, such as Shuddhalekhan Pratiyogita, Anuwad Pratiyogita, Ashubhashan Pratiyogita, Antakshari Pratiyogita, and Kavi Sammelan, are conducted, where students and staff participate to express their love for Hindi language and literature, and the winners of the competitions are awarded with prizes.