To position IIPS as a premier teaching and research institution in population sciences responsive to emerging national and global needs based on values of inclusion, sensitivity, and rights protection.
The Institute strives to be a centre of excellence on all population and relevant issues through high quality education, teaching, and research. This is achieved by
- Creating competent professionals,
- Generating and disseminating scientific knowledge and evidence,
- Collaborating and exchanging knowledge, and
- Advocacy and awareness.
Creating competent professionals
- Increase the output of graduates to twice of the present output at various levels by 2015 and triple it by 2020
- Ensure that the course content, pedagogy, and faculty strength are maintained at international standards
- Improve faculty strength and quality to ensure the availability of multidisciplinary knowledge resources and skills for achieving the aforementioned goals
Generating and disseminating scientific knowledge and evidence
- Provide a suitable environment such that each faculty publishes minimum two research articles annually in peer-reviewed journals (one preferably in an international journal)
- Ensure that each department completes minimum one new research project of national or international importance annually
- Conduct an international conference on currently important policies or issues once in two years
- Enable each department to conduct a workshop on technical and methodological advances once in two years
- Develop and implement a scheme of incentives and disincentives with the help of the Executive Council of the Institute to promote the observance of the aforementioned requirements by each faculty member
Collaboration and exchange of knowledge
- Explore and initiate at least two collaboration programmes with Indian (government/private sector) institutions/organizations for research and short-term training
- Allow each faculty to participate in exchange/visiting programmes at least once in every five years within/outside the country, and ensure the presence of at least one national and one international visiting faculty at IIPS for each semester
- Appoint an adjunct faculty on need basis
- Facilitate summer training/internship for two-year Master’s degree students at collaborative institutions
- Take measures for reducing the financial dependence of the Institute on funds from MOHFW to 80% by 2015 and 50% by 2020
Advocacy and awareness
- Raise the positive value of demography and population sciences as a developmental tool among political representatives and other strata of society through well-coordinated advocacy efforts on an ongoing quantifiable basis.
- Strive to obtain recognition for demography and population sciences as essential education qualifications for relevant positions in the national, state, and local government setups within three years through advocacy and awareness campaigns.